Today, over 1 billion people around the world will participate in Earth Day, strengthening environmental and climate literacy as well as making commitments that enhance the sustainability of our planet.
Doing our part to ensure that Assiniboine Credit Union members have healthy eco-systems to live in is an important way for us to serve our members and contribute to our communities – concepts that are integral to our co-operative values and align with ACU’s values-based banking philosophy.
In fact, co-ops around the world are embracing our role in building healthy and sustainable communities, as demonstrated by the International Co-operative Alliance’s commitment to contributing to the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals.
Your credit union has achieved impressive results. Since launching an Eco-Excellence Program in 2012, ACU has reduced our greenhouse gas emissions by 56%! We have succeeded in fully integrating continuous improvement of environmental performance in our core business and culture.
The reduction in GHGs included:
- Reducing internal paper consumption by 50%, reducing external paper use by 80%, and switching to 100% post-consumer waste (PCW) paper.
- Decreasing the impact of employee commuting by 41%.
- Diverting 4 tonnes of recyclables from the landfill, of which 1300 kilograms was organic waste diverted through a partnership with Compost Winnipeg, a new local social enterprise.
- Designing four branches with geothermal or district energy to heat and cool the buildings. Branches built since 2010 feature LED lighting.
- Completing Power Smart for Buildings renovations or retrofits at six ACU locations, and getting our branch at 200 Main Street designated as a Bike Friendly Workplace.
Assiniboine Credit Union’s leadership and impact resulted in some big news today, as ACU was announced as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for 2017 – for the 5th consecutive year!
Your credit union is demonstrating that reducing our impact on the environment and contributing positively to the environment we all live in is not only a responsible thing to do, but it is also a successful business model as people increasingly choose to work and do business with companies that align with their environmental values.
This is one more example of how being a part of Assiniboine Credit Union ensures that you are contributing to something positive here in our community.
You are part of money doing more.