At Assiniboine Credit Union (ACU) we would like to thank our members, employees, and partners for helping us to do better for our community and our planet which led to us receiving the National Credit Union Social Responsibility Award for our Eco-Excellence Program. Since launching the Eco-Excellence Program in 2012, we’ve reduced greenhouse gas emissions by 56%!
Dennis Cunningham, Manager of Environmental Sustainability, accepted the award in Halifax from the Canadian Credit Union Association (CCUA) and gave credit to engaged employees.
“Thanks to the commitment of ACU employees, we have succeeded in fully integrating continuous improvement of environmental performance in our core business and culture.”
The prestigious Social Responsibility Award focuses national attention on the leadership, innovation and advancement that credit unions are demonstrating in their social and environmental performance. This award is one of five national awards granted by CCUA, which acknowledges the accomplishments of credit unions that exemplify the true nature of the co-operative spirit.
Kevin Sitka, President and CEO of ACU, was in Halifax for the award presentation and said,“Doing our part to ensure that Assiniboine Credit Union members have healthy environment to live in is an important way for us to serve our members and contribute to our communities, while gaining business efficiencies that also benefit our members. Our members want to know that they are doing business with a financial institution that aligns with their values.”
Highlights of ACU’s environmental sustainability include:
- Reducing internal paper consumption by 50%
- Reducing external paper use by 80%
- Switching to 100% post-consumer waste paper
- Decreasing the impact of employee commuting by 41%
- Diverting 4 tonnes of recyclables from the landfill, of which 1300 was organic waste diverted through a partnership with Compost Winnipeg, a new local social enterprise
- Designing four branches with geothermal or district energy to heat and cool the buildings
- Completing Power Smart for Buildings renovations or retrofits at 6 ACU locations
- Designation for 200 Main Street as a Bike Friendly Workplace
- Naming of ACU as one of Canada’s Greenest Employers for the 5th consecutive year
- The first credit union in Canada to purchase green natural gas from Bullfrog Power
The second award of the night received by ACU was given to our very own Business Integration Manager, Sara Rusak. She was one of five young credit union leaders presented with a National Young Leader award for her exceptional leadership abilities and her commitment to Assiniboine Credit Union and our members. With thousands of incredibly talented young leaders in Canada’s credit union system, this recognition speaks to the remarkable leadership that Sara has demonstrated here at ACU for the benefit of our credit union, our members, and our community.